Yesterday Google released a very nifty upgrade to their search tool, which allows you to choose from a list of popular hits depending on what you are typing on the search box.
Anyways, this new toy was too cool to leave aside so I spent most of the night hacking together a proof of concept Firefox extension to add Google Suggest like behavior to the browser’s search tool. Just to show how great XUL/XBL/XPCOM is.
I’ve also created a small search plugin for Google Suggest so the extension only runs when this custom search plugin is in use to avoid any conflicts with the main Google search plugin.
New Google’s Suggest
Firefox GSuggest Extension
Obviously Google’s is much better hehe.. and there are still some issues with GSuggest’s results
list (ie: lack of keyboard navigation) but you can test it out by following the steps below.
NOTE: Use this extension at your own risk – It is only a proof of concept. The author takes no responsibility of direct or indirect damages caused by this program.
- Mainly tested on win2k ff1.0!
- The result list lacks of keyboard navigation, you need to use your mouse to select result to query
- On Linux FF 1.0 the result list is not updated properly.
- Depending on how fast you type, there might be some lag in getting the result list to refresh properly
- Obviously if google decides to change delivery format, script location, etc. this will break..