J. Carlos Navea
Contact me: email@example.com
- 7+ years professional experience
- Education (Theory): Computer Science Degree
- Education (Applied): 3-year College Diploma
- Proficient in PHP, SQL, C, C++, Java
- Experienced OOP developer
- Extensive knowledge of Linux/Unix
- Expert in web technologies
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
To continue working in the field of software development, form part of an experienced and knowledgeable development team where I can contribute my skills and continue learning. To continue exerting my passion for software development while learning new software engineering practices to reach a position of team leader or lead software architect.
Senior Software Developer
(01/2003 – Present)
Commercial Design & Multimedia – Newsportmedia Inc. (Toronto, Ontario)
- PHP (version 5) and SQL developer involved in the development and maintenance of many heavy database-driven multi-lingual web applications (eg. www.basketball.ca, www.ontariohockeyleague.com, www.whl.ca, etc)
- In charge of the architectural design of rational databases and software architecture for projects demanding availability for thousands of daily users.
- Responsible for requirements engineering processes with clients.
- Chief Software Architect in charge of the development of the Canada Basketball’s Be One system. The Be One system is a nation-wide multilingual system designed following software standards and and hand-crafted design patterns. Implemented in PHP5, MySQL 4.x using Mojavi (Java Struts clone), and Propel (Apache Torque clone). The code-base has been reused in many similar projects within the company.
- Developed an internal project for Newsportmedia to aid the company’s billing process. The project integrates with a Mantis bug tracking system and the company’s own custom billing software. Its fast user interface (AJAX using jQuery) has resulted in dozens of billing man-hours in weekly savings.
- Applied knowledge of Linux Operating System, Unix shell scripting, and Open Source tools to administer the company’s Linux development and production servers as well as software revision control systems (CVS, Subversion).
- Responsible for maintenance of a Java web system using Java struts running on Tomcat.
- Served as consulting source and code reviewer for junior developers.
- Responsible for technical interviews for new hires.
(05/2002 – 11/2002)
Vennix Inc. (Toronto, Ontario)
- In charge of the development of Vennix’s e-commerce website using PHP and MySQL on a Linux system. Coordinated development with other team members on the system’s online sales module, customer support module, customer management module, and orders management module.
- In addition to application development, also in charge of website look and graphics.
(09/2002 – 10/2002)
Nakedwireless.ca (Toronto, Ontario)
- Designed and implemented a C++ hook into Squid to act as the client control system the company used when providing free wireless network around the city.
Advanced C++ Programming Tutor & Marking Assistant
(10/2001 – 12/2002)
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technologies. (Toronto, Ontario)
- During my third year at Seneca, I was responsible for one-on-one help to other students with programming assignments as well as review of course materials (data structures, C++ templates, abstraction concepts, etc). Responsible for marking projects on web development courses.
(05/2001 – 10/2001)
ITD Inc. (Toronto, Ontario)
- Responsible for design and implementation of web systems created by ITD inc. using PHP code and MySQL databases.
Lead Web Programmer Analyst
(01/2001 – 09/2001)
SystemX64 – Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technologies (Toronto, Ontario)
- Part of student team at Seneca College in charge of designing and implementing an
e-commerce system for IT Entertainment complex.
- Logical design involved the usage of UML modeling in Rational Rose for the complete system. Implementation was done using PHP, MySQL, and JavaServlets for a custom image processor.
(05/2000 – 06/2000)
HRTS (Consultation Project for the U.N.) – York University. (Toronto, Ontario)
- Part of IT team responsible to query and implement statistical analysis on data collected by the U.N. High Commission for Human Rights. Developed C programs and Unix scripts to sort, analyze, and manage thousands of documents resulting in accelerating the data gathering period by 1 month.
(10/1999 – 02/2001)
AlkatraZ Technologies. (Toronto, Ontario)
BSc. in Computer Science
(09/2006 – 05/2009)
Ryerson University (Toronto, Ontario)
- Graduated with Honours
- Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Science Dean’s list
- Recipient of University In-Program Scholarship.
- Golden Key International Honour Society member.
- Advanced Algorithms
- Artificial Intelligence
- Operating System Theory
- Information Retrieval & Search Engines
- Software Engineering
- Graph Theory
- Calculus I,II
- Discrete Mathematics I,II
- Linear Algebra
- Statistics & Probability
(09/1999 – 05/2002)
Seneca College (Toronto, Ontario)
- Graduated with Honours
- Five times President’s List Award Recipient
- Achieved 4.0 GPA in all technical courses and 3.9 GPA overall
- Valedictorian Nomine
- Unix Programming and Administration
- Enterprise Java Beans
- Java web development
- Data Structures and Algorithms in C++
- Systems Analysis (SDLC & Object Oriented using UML)
- Business Communications
High School Diploma
(09/1995 – 06/1999)
St. Robert Catholic High School (Thornhill, Ontario)
- Three times Honor Roll Recipient
- Computer Science Award
- Mathematics Award
- Two English Awards
- English Media Award
- Religion Award
|Programming/Scripting languages:||PHP (5,4), C/C++, Unix (ksh/bash), Java (SWING, Servlets, J2EE – JSP, JMS, EJB), Visual Basic, TCL, PLSQL, SQL, Java scripting, XML (XSLT, XSD, DTDs, RDF), HTML, XHTML, CSS, Android (including Honeycomb APIs)|
|Software Engineering:||Waterfall & Iterative, Agile, OO design with UML, object oriented design patterns (GoF).|
|Application Software:||CVS, SVN, Bazaar, WebLogic, Apache Tomcat, Apache web server, Visual Studio, MonoDevelop, SQL*PLUS, MySQL, Oracle, OpenOffice, Microsoft Office, Rational Rose, Adobe Photoshop, Magento, Maple.|
|Systems Experience:||Linux, AIX, FreeBSD, DOS, Windows98, Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7, OS/400.|
|Other Areas of Knowledge:||Prolog, MFC Programming, Sockets programming, TCP/IP, Perl, Python, COBOL, CL, C#, .NET, Mono, XUL (Mozilla platform development), AJAX (jQuery), Assembly: ARC, Motorola 6809.|
- Team Oriented
- Self motivated
- Good communication skills
- Detail and goal oriented
- Firm believer in constant learning
- Open source and open standards advocate
- Firefox extensions developer (XUL)
- Technology industry observer
- Topcoder.com Java competitor
- History enthusiast
- Perfect bilingual – English, Spanish
- Computer Graphic Design
- Soccer player – 14 years
- And yes, I code for fun!
References: Available on request